Wednesday, October 18, 2017

IS THERE ANYTHING ILLEGITIMATE ABOUT USING WORDS?





The charges brought against the servants of the Lord are endless. Here is the latest - that a real Christian should be doing acts of love and not using words:

·       “Indeed your approach here seems more Spanish Inquisition (here is some doctrine you must adopt) rather than Christ-like who brought people to God through acts that meant something to those to be converted. I don’t see you doing that with this approach.”

Here is my response”

“Admittedly, here in the world of social media, I can’t clothe you or even offer you a cup of coffee. Instead, the way we “touch” each other is through the medium of words. However, rather than coerce people to believe certain doctrines, I attempt to follow the Biblical model and to provide reasons to believe.

I think that Jesus’ Great Commission (along with the rest of His ministry) is revealing of His priorities:

·       And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28:18-20)

Of course, we don’t just preach the Gospel, we attempt to embody it in our lives. However, acts of love alone, apart from its interpretive words of the Gospel, can easily be misinterpreted. People might think, “You are such a wonderful person.” It is then necessary for me to correct them:

·       It is not about me. I am just an unworthy servant. It is about the Spirit of Christ working through me.

Words are necessary, in fact, central to our relationship with our Savior:

·       Jesus answered him, “If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. Whoever does not love me does not keep my words. And the word that you hear is not mine but the Father’s who sent me.” (John 14:23-24)

Without the Bible’s words of enlightenment, we do not even know how to live a life of love. Even if we might look loving on the outside, Scripture is necessary to humble us and even to teach us how to regard ourselves and our God. Otherwise, we become proud, and this will undermine everything.”

No comments: