Saturday, July 29, 2017

DESPAIRING OF SELF





God asks us to trust in Him in all situations, but we find this difficult. Why? I think that our main problem is that we trust too much in ourselves:

  • Trust in Jehovah with all thy heart, And lean not upon thine own understanding: In all thy ways acknowledge him, And he will direct thy paths. Be not wise in thine own eyes; Fear Jehovah, and depart from evil. (Proverbs 3:5-7; ASV)

We are too "wise in our eyes." We are convinced that we know how to navigate our lives quite well. However, when we have such confidence, we will not learn confidence-in-God.

Instead, when life beats me up and shows me how inadequate I am, I'm  forced to cry out to God. 

Therefore, here is my suggestion - ask God to show us how inadequate we are. Jesus taught, "Without me, you can do nothing" (John 15:5). Let's ask our Lord to teach us this lesson (2 Cor. 1:8-9), continuously.

No comments: