Sunday, December 11, 2016

MY RESPONSE TO A SKEPTIC REGARDING THE BIBLE’S TEACHINGS ON HELL





First of all, please understand that I do not believe that the Bible is God's Word because I understand everything about it (or that it all comports with my wisdom and understanding) and can reconcile all the problems, but rather because I have many over-riding reasons to believe it. Likewise, scientists believe in science, not because they understand everything about it, but because they too have over-riding reasons to believe in it.

Scientists do not even understand the basics - the nature of light, time, space, and matter. Nevertheless, they believe in science. Therefore, when you raise a question that cannot be answered entirely, it doesn't mean that we are stubbornly clinging to an insupportable belief.

One other point: I am guessing that you too believe in science despite these glaring gaps in scientific understanding. I respect that, as someone who has a high respect for science. However, if you are willing to make such allowances regarding the scientific investigation of the creation, you should also be able to appreciate our allowances in regard to what is even more glorious – the Creator.

You raised the issue of "hell." Therefore, allow me to commend this essay to your reading:

http://mannsword.blogspot.com/2016/12/are-we-self-condemned.html


No comments: