Monday, April 4, 2016

WITHOUT GOD, ANYTHING IS PERMISSIBLE





Just ask the late serial killer and cannibal, Jeffrey Dahmer, about this:

·       “If a person doesn’t think there is a God to be accountable to, then what’s the point in trying to modify your behavior to keep it in acceptable ranges?” (Richard Weikart, "The Death of Humanity: And the Case for Life")

Well, I guess a professor of ethics could reason pragmatically:

·       "Well Jeffrey, you would live a more fulfilling life if you would only give up killing and cannibalizing your victims."

But I could imagine Dahmer responding, "Trust me! I know what I find fulfilling better than you do!"

Instead, I think that Dahmer had a more rational view of morality than the vast number of our university professors. He clearly understood that if morality is just something we invent, then everything is permissible.

No comments: