Thursday, January 14, 2016

DEALING WITH FEAR


How do we deal with fear? Embrace it as a friend! Why? It imparts many benefits, like vigilance.

But you will retort, "My fear is far more intense and obsessive. It is a curse." Well, perhaps we need our curses in order to enjoy our blessings.

Here's an example. My favorite verse on fear is this:
  • “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”
(Philippians 4:6-7)

The encouragement of this verse has often quieted my runaway fears and has made me feel grateful for my Savior. However, had I not experienced my intense fears and anxieties, I would not have known the blessing of His comfort.

Here's how psychologist Edward Welch states it:
  • “Rather than minimize your fears, find more of them. Expose them to the light of day because the more you find, the more blessed you will be when you hear words of peace and comfort."

No comments: