Monday, November 23, 2015

WHAT TO SAY TO A FRIEND WHEN HE IS NOT FAITHFUL TO JESUS AND HIS WORD




Here is my letter to a Facebook group which intends to block me:

I can certainly understand your annoyance and discomfort with me, since I am calling question to your Christian faith. However, there are things that are discomforting that are also necessary to endure, like the removal of a malignancy. Jesus had warned:

·       "Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me;” (Matthew 10:37)

Whenever we elevate a person or even ideas above Jesus and His teachings, we are not worthy of Him. What are the consequences? He continued:

·       “And anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.” (Matthew 10:38-39)

We might “find [our] life” through social or professional acceptance/approval, but Jesus warns that the price is high if we have placed anything above Him – We “will lose” our life.

When we fail to abide in His Word (John 15:7-), we risk losing our life:

·       "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.” (John 14:23-24)

You are certainly free to excommunicate me, and I will accept your judgment. I bear you no ill-will. Nor do I have any reason to look down on you. However, I would like you to consider this – That when you reject me, you might also be rejecting the Savior:

·       "If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. Remember the words I spoke to you: 'No servant is greater than his master.' If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also.” (John 15:18-20)

But perhaps I am distorting Scripture? Therefore, I would encourage you to pray that our Lord would examine you (Psalm 139) to see if you are bearing His Name in vain. My prayers go with you.

No comments: