Tuesday, June 16, 2015

HOW I KNOW THAT THE BIBLE IS THE WORD OF GOD




There are many reasons for this. Here's one - the Bible gives me the very truths I need for peace of mind and well-being. Here's an example:

I had been a very jealous person and even carried this jealousy into my Christian life. I resented those who seemed to be more spiritual than I, those who were clearly blessed, and those who were recognized for their spiritual contributions.

Meanwhile, I was tormented by what I was beginning to see about myself. I was seeing that I was totally unworthy of receiving anything from God, apart from punishment, and yet I was powerless to do anything about it. I even hated others more in the midst of my helplessness. I was sure that while God loved them, He disdained me. How could He not!

However, the Word of God was at work within me. I began to see things that I had never seen before - that God's love didn't depend on my worthiness but His alone. I was assured that we are all one in Christ and co-heirs of everything that belonged to Him; that I didn't have to worry about my performance or worthiness.

He assured me that He wanted to give me the world and would withhold nothing of any value from me. (I had been afraid, that even if I did make it into heaven, I would make it as the chimney-sweep and would suffer from eternal jealousy and resentment.)

God's reassurances have changed my jealousy into a concern for my brethren, now wanting only the best for them.

How has this transformation occurred? Through His Word:

  • Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. (Romans 12:2)

However, this is no mere mental exercise. Such a transformation can only occur as the Holy Spirit enlivens these truths for us, convincing us of their surpassing value and verity. I praise God for what He has done for me through His Word!

No comments: