Thursday, June 4, 2015

Buddhism and the Prospect of Death




Editor of World Magazine, Marvin Olasky, cites Alex Lickerman, former director of primary care at the University of Chicago. He has been a practicing Buddhist for 26 years, but to little avail, when it came to managing his fear of death:

·       “One of the supposed benefits of manifesting the life-condition of Buddha is freedom from all fear. I’ve tried to resolve my fear of death intellectually and come to the conclusion that it can’t be done, at least not by me.”

·       “Whenever I’ve tried wrapping my mind around the concept of my own demise… I’ve unearthed a fear so overwhelming my mind has been turned aside.”

This should not be surprising. Death is a reality so bleak that it can only be faced with denial. A discussion leader informed the group that he derived comfort from the fact that the world is eternal. I responded, “What comfort can you derive if the world goes on, but you don’t?”

He didn’t have an answer, but we do. Our Savior promised us:

·       "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.” (John 14:1-3)

We have an eternal home with the One who loves us so much He died for us, even when we were His enemies.

No comments: