Friday, April 24, 2015

TOLERANCE - SECULAR STYLE




At a secular discussion group on "spirituality," we were assured that spirituality took many different forms, and all were okay. Spirituality could be merely a matter of watching a program on astronomy or a enjoying a sunset.

Sounds tolerant and broad-minded, doesn't it? The group thought so until the subject of God came up. One male thought that others had a right to their faith, but that's all it is - naked faith! He insisted that no one could prove that there is a God.

I wanted to say that he couldn't prove such an outrageous claim, but I didn't get an opportunity.

One writer rose to proclaim that spirituality could only be found within ourselves and not in any external spiritual entity to many nods of agreement.

Another declared that she wished that religion would just disappear. Clearly, she didn't view “spirituality,” especially her spirituality, as religious. She continued that religion was the cause of hatred and warfare.

I could no longer hold back and interjected, "Do you regard your statements as a form of hatred?" She didn't seem to have a clue about what I was trying to point out. Nor did anyone else! (I later found out that at least one other did get it!)

I wasn’t shocked. I had seen it a thousand times before. Her words have become a mantra or a shibboleth for entry into refined society. Spirituality was respectable, but God-centered religion was held in contempt. While it was acceptable to lampoon God, “spirituality” was coddled with the greatest sensitivity and encouragement. No one seemed to see the hypocrisy. All were convinced that they were perfectly tolerant, even enlightened. It reminded me of Paul’s quotation from Isaiah:

·       "'Go to this people and say, "You will be ever hearing but never understanding; you will be ever seeing but never perceiving." For this people's heart has become calloused; they hardly hear with their ears, and they have closed their eyes.'” Acts 28:26-27)

But there is always hope! Before such discussions, my wife warns me to use grace and wit. However, I never seem to be able to rise to these standards, but I trust that God can still use my impassioned words.

No comments: